It didn't start well...

This last week didn't start well. I had planned a long run of 19 miles but by mile 10 my thighs started to tighten up and my right one became progressively worse. Everyone who runs knows that aches and pains are par for the course and most of the time it's possible to run through, but this was different. I felt like my right thigh might 'pop' if I carry on. So, I took a detour and limped home having completed only 14 miles.

As is so often the case, I have no idea why that happened. However, as many of us do, I immediately and irrationally blamed my running trainers and duly wasted much of the rest of the day watching YouTube reviews of trainers. I have to say that I don't find most of these reviews very helpful at all because choosing a pair of trusted running trainers is such a personal choice. Nevertheless, after a wasted few hours perusing multiple reviews of various brands...I purchased the latest version of the trainers that I've used for years!!


Buoyed by the thought of getting some new trainers, I laced up again after a few hours and headed out to do another 5 miles, so 19 completed for the day albeit in two stints. Still, given the Blackpool marathon was only seven weeks away at this point, it did knock my confidence a bit.

From there, the rest of the week was largely uneventful. I managed to run every day, totalling 52 miles, and completed a reasonably paced half marathon, for me at least, towards the end of the week. I was pleased to finish the week with an organised run, the Sandbach 10k. This is a local run for me and one I look forward to, it is really enjoyable and ever so well organised.

On the Sunday morning I got there a bit earlier just to soak up the atmosphere - this was only my second organised run post lockdown, aside from parkrun, Southport half marathon a few weeks earlier being the first. I didn't expect to set a personal best, and didn't, but enjoyed the run and pacing myself against other runners. I finished the 10k in 42:48 which I was pleased with given my focus is on Blackpool now.



So, on to another week! I started with a long run having missed the Sunday morning due to the Sandbach 10k. Knocked out 16 miles...



...and felt ok, but not quite where I want to be! I'm just going to have to accept that I'm not going to be in the best shape for Blackpool but I have the Chester Marathon 3 weeks after and I have to stay focused on the 'long-game' which is the Brathay 10 in 10 next year!

If you want to read a little more about the Brathay Trust and my motivation for running 10 marathons in 10 days, then you can do that here.

If you feel able to donate to the cause, you can do that here via Just Giving.

Thanks for your support and for reading this far!

Cheers, Chris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wine, curry, jelly babies and steroid injections...

The journey begins...